Sunday 28 July 2013

The Food Doctor Review



I used to have such a good relationship with breakfast. We were buddies. The best of friends. But since moving to Bristol a year ago, the whole thing has fallen away from me and I have found it really difficult to motivate myself in the morning. And I have also found that my body likes to wait until the most inconvenient time to let me know I’m actually, really, very hungry. This will often be right before I start work where I’m forced to grab whatever cereal bar claims to be the ‘healthiest’ and write off the morning. 

There is really no excuse for this. With shops like Boots and Mark and Spencer stocking cereal and muesli the option IS there… I guess it’s all about convenience. I know a lot of the so called ‘healthy’ cereal bars are actually doing nothing for me, if you look past the low calorie content there’s not much left other than, well, empty calories and a lot of sugar.

£0.95 Holland and Barratt

So I was on my way to work doing my usual routine and I walked past a Holland and Barratt and found myself drifting through the doors. I’ve always been into health food’s but I had never thought that Holland and Barratt might stock something that is a little bit better for me. The selection of genuinely good for you snack bars is incredible but I was drawn to one in particular called The Food Doctor.  The packaging is so simple but with some really good, natural claims. I picked up the Apple & Walnut and Fig & Mango bar’s and I was really surprised.

Scanning the ingredients on the back it is easy to see that pretty much everything they pack into them is natural using real fruits, seeds and cereals. With only 109 and 103 calories a bar I was really interested to see what they would taste like. 



Ok, so the bar itself didn’t look like the most appetising thing I’ve eaten. In fact it was quite hard to get a flattering picture of it. But (and I’ll let you decide if this is good or bad) the bars look quite moist and compared to a lot of cereal bars they are very dense and compact. When you bite into them they don’t crumble and are very soft and chewy which adds a really lovely dimension to them. You can easily see all the different layers and goodness that is in them.

Onto the most important bit… the taste! I won’t lie to you. They don’t taste fantastic. They are not bad by any means! They just lack something artificial sweetener. I guess they are a little bland. But I would argue that they taste how they are meant to taste and it probably is because they are completely natural with only naturally occurring sugars that they taste a bit flat. 

The thing I found most surprising about The Food Doctor bars was how they where able to sustain my hunger and keep me satisfied throughout the morning! With any other cereal bar I have found myself hungry within an hour or two at the most, but this was completely different.

I would seriously consider buying these in bulk if only they tasted a little better but I would defiantly pick one up if I was super hungry knowing that its going to do me good as well as satisfying my stomach! 

Has anyone else tried The Food Doctor products? 

Erin, xx

6 comments:

  1. I like to pop into Holland & Barratt every now and again to try some new things. I've tried a few of the different snack bars they have and I've never found any I really love but they're nice and definitely something I go for if I'm feeling hungry!

    Jennie xo | sailorjennie.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I think it's defiantly worth trying them stepping outside my comfort zone! =)

      Erin, xx

      Delete
  2. I will look out for these if they are good at keeping hunger at bay :) x

    ofbeautyandnothingness.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how you get on with them! =)

      Erin, xx

      Delete
  3. I've had their pitta bread - i must give these a go

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen the pitta bread in my local supermarket, I keep meaning to try it but haven't gotten around to it yet! It might have to go in my trolley next time =). Let me know if you try the bars!

      Erin, xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comments x